I help people get themselves and their content organized. Whether it’s a taxonomy, controlled vocabulary, thesauri or an ontology, I assist people in bringing order to what, to them, seems like chaos.
To help people establish a taxonomy, one of the steps in my process is to examine and audit their content in its current state. I have encountered some of the most interesting folder names. People can be very funny when it comes to describing their content.
Below are some of the most memorable folder names I’ve come across. For your viewing pleasure, (and because I couldn’t help myself!) I categorized them by type or tone or situation.
CONTENT OWNERS WERE BAD DOCUMENT GUARDIANS:
- Abandoned Content
- Content That Is Up For Adoption
- Floating in the Ether
- Left Behind
- Called Joe But He Wont Call Me Back_Toss It?
- Effing Crap
- I No Longer Care
- Jill’s Train wreck
DISORDER REIGNS SUPREME:
- A Big Mess
- Collection of Junk
- Hopefully Trash
- Random Crap
- Something Went Terribly Wrong
- Not Categorized
MUST RETAIN DUE TO LEGAL OR CONTRACTUAL OBLIGATIONS:
- One Day This Can Be Deleted_Hooray!
- Wait Until Records Retention Period Is Over and Then Delete
- Files from my old job_I dont want to delete
- Superseded But Can’t Bring Myself to Discard
- This Person is Deceased_Now What?
- Tom’s Files: he was incarcerated and we don’t know what to do
- Clueless about this stuff
- I’m not sure
- No idea
WILL GET TO THIS CONTENT, EVENTUALLY:
- Cant think about this right now
- Dont invest time until someone asks about it
- Low Priority Stuff
- Not Very Important to Anyone